Hello friends, in my previous article on how to start successful blog 1, I had covered some topics which includes what Blogging is all about, the definition of Blog, Blogging and blogger, etc. You can still read them here. And remember that I promised to talk about a lot of things in my subsequent articles on Blogging which I had said to come in series, of course, this is the series 2 of that article and I captioned this one Blogging as a career – the whole truth about successful Blogging Part 2.
Ride on as you are going to learn a couple of new things about taking blogging as a career in this article, I believe this is what you really want, this is also why we are here.
Blogging as a career – the whole truth about successful Blogging Part 2
In this article, I will start with the Topic, Blogging Niches or Different Kinds of Blog, this will help you to know what to focus on as you take blogging as a career, just read on below.
Niches in Blogging (Different Kinds of Blog)
Since you are about to take blogging as a career, it is very important to note a lot of things that will help you succeed in your blogging career, one of them is blog niche.
What is a blog Niche?
The term, “niche” is used to depict the line or field your blog is covering, yes, I mean the category of topics you are writing about. So, whenever you hear someone say niche, they’re talking about the category your blog is covering.
The kind of blog one owns depends on the category or area he wishes to cover, yes, it is very important to focus on something because you are taking blogging as a career, not for joke or fun. It could be about health, news, sports, tech, etc. It could also be a religious blog. The most important thing in Blogging is to have something to blog about, you choose a niche or category you are good at.
Sometimes, people own multi-purpose blog too where they blog on different categories. This is okay too, if you can do it this way. But I would prefer you just focus on one thing and keep talking about it. Just like this blog, calnetguide.com, it focuses majorly on Information communication technology guides and tutorials. Everything we are talking about in this blog is related to ICT. So, once anyone mentions calnetguide.com to you, your mind will directly go to ICT tutorials, this is how it should be, this is what it means when someone wants to take blogging as a career, you should be known for something.
Further examples of different niches in Blogging includes: News, Sports, Technology, Health, Religion, Languages, Relationship, Food, Travel, Education, Fashion, Clothing, etc.
Remember we are still on the topic, Blogging as a career – the whole truth about successful Blogging Part 2. Let us continue below.
There are people who publish dream interpretations online, they publish prayer points, they suggest several spiritual solutions through their blog, etc. Some are pastors, etc. All these things are Niches in blogging. You could come up with any topic that interests people, then you are in the blogosphere, the next thing to do is to take it very serious, you are taking blogging as a career.
There are also people that blog about football fixtures, predictions, etc. You could blog about anything. Just sit down and think out what you can confidently tell people about, or what you can teach people through your blog, this is the real act of blogging, there is no truth hidden from this. -calnetguide.com-
Blogging As A career – the whole truth about successful Blogging Part 2
Having said all these above, I will go straight to the next topic for this article, different blogging platforms.
The next important thing you should note while considering blogging as a career is different blogging platforms, you should have a good knowledge of these platforms as it will help you choose the best. Choosing the best also helps you succeed faster while taking blogging as a career. Hence, let us talk about different blogging platforms below.
Different Blogging platforms.
What is a blogging platform?
I would define blogging platforms as different systems or environments on which blogs are created. Yes. There are many of them, but It would be best if we talk about the best, this contributes very much to your success on your journey of taking blogging as a career. So, read on below.
In this article, we are going to concentrate on two major platforms. Although there are other platforms too, but remember I had stated that it would be better to concentrate on the most popular or the best, this will help us save reasonable time.
Below are the two major platforms we are going to concentrate on:
1. Blogger (Blogspot) platform and
2. WordPress Platform (Self-hosted WordPress).
Blogger (Blogspot) platform is owned by Google, and it is almost a free platform. Meaning that you could easily create a blog on the platform without spending a lot of money to buy a host plan, Yes, you can start your mission on taking blogging as a career without spending much money, although you would purchase a custom domain name and attach to your blog. If you wish to use the regular (free) blogspot domain given by Google whenever you create a new blog on blogger platform, then your blog will be in this format, blogname.blogspot.com.
But if you are not comfortable with the domain extension, you will then go ahead and purchase a custom domain from a domain registrar and then link it to your blog to make it look professional, it will define you better as someone that is working on taking blogging as a career, it is serious business after all.
Note that linking a custom domain to a blogger blog is a bit technical, so if you are not more of a techie, but you are very eager on taking blogging as a career, then you need to hire a professional to help you do this. In a situation like this, you could hire us to render this service to you, just go to the “contact us” page of this blog, you may then contact us through any of the mediums available in that page to assist you with domain registration and linking. Note that will have to pay us to do this for you.
To make your blogger (Blogspot) blog look nice, you will need to have knowledge of at least html and css, or you could hire a professional to help you with design and customization of the blog (you could also hire us in this case). It is important to make your blog look nice, your aim is to seriously take blogging as a career, so your blog should look attractive for your visitors to keep coming. Although in designing and customizing a blog on blogger platform, the professional would not charge you a lot of money as compared to when creating on other platforms.
Now, let us talk about the advantages and disadvantages in using the blogger (Blogspot) platform. – calnetguide.com –
ADVANTAGES IN USING BLOGGER (BLOGSPOT) PLATFORM:
1. You do not need to spend money buying a host plan as compared to other Platforms. Google has already provided free hosting service for blogs created on blogger (blogspot) Platform. So, you can start right away on your journey taking blogging as a career
2. You do not have to worry about exhausting monthly bandwidth, Google provides unlimited bandwidths for blogs created on blogger (blogspot) Platform.
3. You will be given a free domain extent, .blogspot.com. But in most cases, switching to a custom domain is most preferred.
4. Your blog security is assured because the only way someone could hack your blog is when he has access to your Gmail login details or when he hacks your Gmail account. Else, your blog is secured.
5. You can easily invite a lot of other people to publish on your blog through their Gmail accounts.
6. Blogger blogs can handle any amount of traffic since it is hosted on Google’s server.
There are possibly other advantages too, but I will hold it here and go to the disadvantages in using Blogspot platform.
DISADVANTAGES IN USING BLOGGER (BLOGSPOT) PLATFORM:
1. If you are using Blogspot platform, you are not totally in control of your. Yes there are a lot of things you can not do on your blog as compared to when using other Platforms. You are provided with limited options on your dashboard, and those are the only options you can work with.
2. Your blog could be deleted at anytime without your consent if you voilet Google terms and policies on using Blogspot, this is not good for someone that is taking blogging as a career.
3. There are some kind of contents you are not allowed to publish, else your blog will be deleted, unlike when using other Platforms where you are free to publish anything you want, except copyright protected contents of files.
4. I would say that Blogspot platform is not too good for SEO customizations because you can only do little on the dashboard. Unlike other platforms where you have a lot of tools to achieve the highest SEO customizations.
5. You can only do little customization on your blog, unlike other than where you are totally in control of everything on your blog.
6. If you are using blogger platform, most visitors might see your blog as an unprofessional blog, they consider other platforms better in blogging. Your blog has to look professional since you are taking blogging as a career.
Now, one important thing you should note is that despite the limitations in using Blogger platform, a lot of people still use it, including those that have already started blogging as a career. Hence, you can still start with it if you do not have a lot of money to invest in hosting a self hosted blog. – calnetguide.com –
I will highlight some possible reasons people still use blogger Platform in blogging.
Some use it maybe because they do not have enough funds to pay for a self hosted blog, while others have their reasons too. Obviously, some people later switch to a self hosted blog after they haveve realized some money or when they have learnt the additional benefits in using other platforms.
Blogging as a career – the whole truth about successful Blogging Part 2 -calnetguide.com-
Now, let me quickly talk about the WordPress Platform.
WORDPRESS PLATFORM (SELF-HOSTED WORDPRESS):
This platform, Self-hosted wordpress is preferred by almost 80% of bloggers in blogging, especially professionals that are blogging as a career. This is because it is more professional and flexible, there are a lot of features and tools to optimize your blog to your desired outcome.
With WordPress, you can be in total control of your blog since it is self hosted. You can customize it to your taste, there are also a lot of plugins to help you increase the features of your blog. Some are paid, some are open source (free).
WordPress also has superb SEO functionalities. From what I know, WordPress blogs tend to rank more than the other platforms on search engines because there are functions that will enable you do some advanced SEO settingss for your blog, this is more suitable for someone that has set his mind on taking blogging as a career.
You also have the ability to upload any kind of file, videos, audio, ebooks, etc and make them available for download or view. -calnetguide.com-
On WordPress, you can easily control how and where to place affiliation links, banners and ad codes using plugins, But on Blogspot, you will have to alter the site code directly for you to be able to display these things in some places like inside posts, etc.
There are lots of advantages that WordPress has over other platforms. Here, one thing is that it will cost you more money to use WordPress than the cost on using blogger platform. But would you not rather prefer to spend more money and earn better results? Remember you are blogging because you are taking blogging as a career, you are not blogging for fun. It is ones choice to make.
Let us quickly review few advantages and disadvantages in using WordPress platform below. Although I have already listed a lot of its advantages above, let me still highlight them.
ADVANTAGES IN USING WORDPRESS PLATFORM:
1. You have absolute control over your blog. This is more convenient for professional blogging, someone that takes blogging as a career.
2. Your blog is more professional
3. You can have a superb SEO, this is very important for someone that is taking blogging as a career.
4. You can upload any kind of files or contents
5. You can easily use plugins to place affiliate banners and ad codes anywhere you want.
6. You can customize or design your blog to your taste since there are a lot of tools available.
7. You can add several additional functionalities to your blog using plugins, this will help you to focus on blogging as a career.
There are others too, but I will hold it here.
Let us review the disadvantages in using WordPress below.
DISADVANTAGES IN USING WORDPRESS (SELF-HOSTED WORDPRESS):
1. You will spend some reasonable amount of money to buy host plan, domain, SSL certificate and other things. There are cheaper hosting services too.
2. You are totally in control of your blog’s security, so you should always adhere to security measures to make sure your blog is safe from hackers. You do not have to panic about this though, there are many tools to secure your blog, a little more research will familiarize you with security measures.
3. You should be conscious of the kind of host plan you must use, this is to avoid downtime on your site, which will affect your traffic and SEO. (What I mean is that there are some host plans that can not handle a lot of traffic, avoid them if you really want your blog to grow).
There might be other disadvantages too, but I know too well that the advantages I using WordPress platform for blogging surpass the disadvantages in so many ways; so, I’ll stop here.
Now, if you have decided to use a self hosted WordPress platform to host your blog, I will discuss some very important things to consider in choosing a host and host plan. Just read on below. -calnetguide.com-
THINGS TO CONSIDER IN CHOOSING A HOST PLAN TO HOST YOUR WORDPRESS BLOG:
1. Quality of host company: Yes. You have to buy host from a company that render qaulity services. This is important for the health of your blog. If you use a quack host, your blog will have a lot of downtime, and you can not rank on search engines. Google bot hates sites that are not always accessible. Now, some people that do not understand the technical aspects of hosting will go on and purchase from any host they see, possibly because it’s very cheap, that is not the right thing to do, you have to go for quality host if you really want your blog to grow. In my case, I always prefer to use better systems.
2. Category of host plan to purchase: (it is very important to consider the amount of bandwidth and storage size that will come with any host plan). This is because if you buy a host plan with a very low bandwidth, your blog is likely to go down at anytime. This will affect a lot of things. It’s important to consider disk space size too if you intend uploading large files to your blog. Etc.
3. Domain name: You should choose a befitting domain name for your blog niche. (It is preferred you use names that people can easily remember. Do not use very long names.)
4. SSL certificate: It is important to use a solid SSL certificate on your blog, this is for the security of your visitors. In fact, it is now a compulsory criteria for every website in the internet.
I will drop my pen here, we shall talk about other things in other subsequent series of this guide, how to start successful blogging career.
As for the choice in choosing a host plan, I will write review on different hosts that I know. From there, you will know the ones you would want to use in hosting your blog. Always check the web development and review section on this blog to stay updated on my host reviews.
In this article, Blogging as a career – the whole truth about successful Blogging Part 2, I believe you have learnt many new things on how to start successful blogging career and how to succeed in blogging, different blogging platforms, and other things too. Trust me, i will continue to create great contents and tutorials for your own consumption. I’m expecting to see you always on this blog, there are other series of this guide, how to start successful blogging career 3, how to start successful blogging career 4, and other series. I will always continue to write for you. I remain your best friend, Callistus Onyewuchi…. stay tuned.